Advertising & Promotions is all about communication. It is the way in a business that makes its products known to current and soon-to-be customers. It is a common mistake to believe that promotion by the business is all about advertising. It isn’t. There are many approaches that a business can take to send their message across to customers, although advertising is certainly an important one.
The main aim of this is to ensure that customers are aware of the existence and positioning of products. Promotion is used to persuade customers that the product is better than competitor’s products and to remind them as to why they may want to buy.
It is important to understand that a Marketing Agency in Pune will use many methods of promotion. That variety of promotional methods is referred to as the promotional mix.
Here are the 5 steps that are needed to be taken in order to ensure that the next marketing promotion is well planned and will get the expected RESULTS.
First, start by identifying WHO is your A-Grade Customer? They are also known as the Awesome Customer. How do they behave? They are your advocates and they also do the selling for you by referring and recommending other people to you! In other words, they are your RAVING FANS! Of course, they make you more profit compared to the other types of customers and you never have to spend too much money on marketing to them. Another way of identifying your A-Grade customers is by looking at your top 20% of customers who generate 80% of your sales. Once you have decided, and then make them your target market for this campaign.
After you have identified your target market, ask yourself, WHERE can you find them in the highest concentration? Remember, birds of the same feather, flock together. Do they stay in the same geographic area? Do they belong to the same association? Are they members of the same club? Do they subscribe to the same magazine? In other words, find something similar about your target market so that your task of marketing to them is highly leveraged.
Now start thinking about WHAT you can OFFER this target market that will make them take the first step? The offer must be exciting for them. Stop making discounts as your offer. Instead, add value. Give them something EXTRA that you can offer, preferably FREE, for taking the first step. What is the first step? It might be to call you, or visit your website or to come to your store, etc, etc. You must be CLEAR about the first step that your target market must take and the reward for them for making it.
Define clearly the benefits that your target market will receive when they buy from you. The reason WHY they should buy from you must be clear to them. Make sure you’re tuned in to their WII-FM, i.e. What’s in it for me station. People make buying decisions because of emotion. So tune in to the emotional reasons of your prospects and they will respond.
Lastly, you can start thinking about the best ways to reach out and communicate to your target market using the medium that will connect you to them. Go back to Step 2 (WHERE) and plan the most leveraged way of making sure your target market is COMMUNICATED and EDUCATED about you and your products.
Major Methods of Advertising & Promotions are:-
• Brochures or flyers — Much desk-top publishing and word-processing software packages can produce highly attractive tri-fold (an 8.5 inch by 11-inch sheet folded in thirds) brochures. Brochures can contain a great deal of information if designed well and is becoming a common method of advertising.
• Direct mail — Mail sent directly from you to your customers can be highly customized to suit their nature and needs. You may want to build a mailing list of your current and desired customers. Collect addresses from customers by noticing addresses on their checks, asking them to fill out information cards, etc. Keep the list online and up-to-date. Mailing lists can quickly become out-of-date. Notice mailings that get returned to you. This should be used carefully and it can incur a substantial cost, you don’t want to inundate your stakeholders with information so make the most of your message.
• E-mail messages — These can be wonderful means to getting the word out about your business. Design your e-mail software to include a “signature line” at the end of each of your e-mail messages. Many e-mail software packages will automatically attach this signature line to your e-mail if you prefer.
• Magazines — Magazines ads can get quite expensive. Find out if there’s a magazine
that focuses on your particular industry. If there is one, then the magazine can be very useful because it already focuses on your market and potential customers. Consider placing an ad or writing a short article for the magazine. Contact a reporter to introduce yourself. Reporters are often on the lookout for new stories and sources from which to collect quotes.
• Newsletters — This can be a powerful means to conveying the nature of your organization and its services. Consider using a consultant for the initial design and layout. Today’s desktop publishing tools can generate very interesting newsletters quite inexpensively.
• Newspapers – – Almost everyone reads the local, major newspaper(s). You can get your business in the newspaper by placing ads, writing a letter to the editor, or working with a reporter to get a story written about your business. Advertising can get quite expensive. A newspaper is often quite useful in giving advice about what and how to advertise. Know when to advertise — this depends on the buying habits of your customers.
• Online discussion groups and chat groups — As with e-mail, you can gain frequent exposure to yourself and your business by participating in online discussion groups and chat groups. Note, however, that many groups have strong ground rules against blatant advertising. When you join a group, always check with the moderator to understand what is appropriate.
• Posters and bulletin boards — Posters can be very powerful when placed where your customers will actually notice them. But think of how often you’ve actually noticed posters and bulletin boards yourself. Your best bet is to place the posters on bulletin boards and other places that your customers frequent and always refresh your posters with new and colorful posters that will appear new to passersby. Note that some businesses and municipalities have regulations about the number of sizes of posters that can be placed in their areas.
• Radio announcements — A major advantage of radio ads is they are usually cheaper than television ads, and many people still listen to the radio, for example, when in their cars. Ads are usually sold on a package basis that considers the number of ads, the length of ads, and when they are put on the air. A major consideration with radio ads is to get them announced at the times that your potential customers are listening to the radio.
• Telemarketing — The use of telemarketing is on the rise.
• Television ads — Many people don’t even consider television ads because of the impression that the ads are very expensive. They are more expensive than most of the major forms of advertising. However, with the increasing number of television networks and stations, businesses might find good deals for placing commercials or other forms of advertisements. Television ads usually are priced with similar considerations to radio ads, that is, the number of ads, the length of ads, and when they are put on the air.
• Web pages — You probably would not have seen this means of advertising on a list of advertising methods if you had read a list even two years ago. Now, advertising and promotions on the World Wide Web are almost commonplace. Businesses are developing Web pages sometimes just to appear up-to-date. Using the Web for advertising requires certain equipment and expertise, including getting a computer, getting an Internet service provider, buying (usually renting) a Website name, designing and installing the Website graphics, and other functions as needed (for example, an online store for e-commerce), promoting the Website (via various search engines, directories, etc.) and maintaining the Website.
• Yellow Pages –The Yellow Pages can be very effective advertising if your ads are well-placed in the directory’s categories of services, and the name of your business is descriptive of your services and/or your ad stands out (for example, is bolded, in a large box on the page, etc.). The phone company will offer free advice about placing your ad in the Yellow Pages. They usually have special packages where you get a business phone line along with a certain number of ads.
Marketing Agency in Pune will use a range of promotional activities for its product, depending on the marketing strategy and the budget available.
This is a key component of the broader marketing system because it is what usually makes customers aware of you, attracted to your brand, interested in buying, and ultimately, loyal customers. Advertising, public relations, and personal selling are three staple methods of promotion, though some new techniques have emerged in the early 21st century.